Colonel Joshua C. Waggoner is the commander of the 122d Fighter
Wing, Fort Wayne Air National Guard Base, Indiana. He organizes,
trains and equips more than 1,000 professional Airmen, providing
decisive firepower and agile combat support to combatant
commanders worldwide. Col Waggoner executes an annual budget
in excess of $70 million. He formulates plans and policies for flying
operations, aircraft maintenance, mission support and medical
agencies across the wing. Col Waggoner coordinates requirements
at the local, state and national levels and he is accountable for
policies pertaining to operations, personnel, equipment, funds and
Col Waggoner initially entered service when he enlisted into the
Arizona Air National Guard in September 1995 as a maintenance
member for the 162d Fighter Wing in Tucson, Arizona. He
transferred to the Indiana Air National Guard in 1996 and earned
his commission in May 2000. Col Waggoner completed
Undergraduate Pilot Training in October 2001 and began his flying
career in the F-16C in the 113th Fighter Squadron in Terre Haute,
Indiana. He held multiple key leadership positions as an F-16 and
A-10 fighter pilot in both the Indiana and Ohio Air National Guard,
to include Aircraft Commander, Range Operations Officer,
Squadron Safety Officer, Chief of Standards and Evaluations,
Director of Operations, Commander of the 163d Fighter Squadron,
Deputy Commander of the 122d Operations Group and Vice
Commander of the 122d Fighter Wing. Prior to his current position the colonel was the Commander of the 122d Maintenance
Col Waggoner is a command pilot with more than 2,900 hours, including 1,269 hours in the F-16 and more than 1,400 hours in
the A-10. He has over 400 combat hours flown during 81 sorties. He deployed in support of Operations ENDURING FREEDOM,
INHERENT RESOLVE, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL and RESOLUTE SUPPORT.
1999 Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.
2000 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2019 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2020 USAF Wing Commanders’ Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Air National Guard Commander Leadership Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. September 1995 – October 1996, Maintenance Plans, Scheduling & Documentation Helper, 162d Fighter Wing, Tucson
Air National Guard Base, Ariz.
2. October 1996 – March 2000, Maintenance Plans, Scheduling & Documentation Journeyman, 181st Fighter Wing, Terre
Haute ANGB, Ind.
3. October 2000 – October 2001, Pilot Trainee, 71st Flying Training Wing, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force
4. November 2001 – January 2002, Student Pilot, 12th Flying Training Wing, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals,
Randolph AFB, Texas
5. April 2002 – November 2002, Student Pilot, 178th Fighter Wing, F-16C/D Initial Qualification Training Course, Springfield
6. November 2002 – July 2007, Aircraft Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron (F-16), Terre Haute ANGB, Ind.
7. July 2007 – February 2008, Instructor Pilot, 162d Fighter Squadron (F-16), Springfield ANGB, Ohio
8. February 2008 – September 2010, Squadron Safety Officer/Chief of Training, 306th Detachment Royal Netherlands Air
Force (F-16), Springfield ANGB, Ohio
9. September 2010 – September 2013, Range Operations Officer, JFAC-IN Det 3, Jefferson Range, Ind.
10. October 2011 – February 2012, Student Pilot, 355th Fighter Wing, A-10C Transition Qualification Course, Davis-Monthan
11. October 2013 – September 2015, Range Operations Officer, JFAC-IN Det 1, Camp Atterbury, Ind.
12. October 2015 – May 2016, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, 122d Operations Group (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
13. May 2016 – January 2017, Director of Operations, 163d Fighter Squadron (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
14. January 2017 – May 2019, Commander, 163d Fighter Squadron (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind. (April 2018 – July 2018,
Squadron Commander, 163d Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, Kandahar AB, Afghanistan)
15. May 2019 – July 2020, Deputy Commander, 122d Operations Group (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
16. August 2020 – June 2021, Vice Commander, 122d Fighter Wing (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
17. June 2021 – April 2022, Commander, 122d Maintenance Group (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
18. April 2022 – Present, Commander, 122d Fighter Wing (A-10), Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,900
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, F-16 and A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five devices
Air Medal with three devices
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two devices
Air Force Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 5, 2000
First Lieutenant May 5, 2002
Captain May 10, 2004
Major May 10, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel May 10, 2015
Colonel Sept. 30, 2020
(Current as of May 2022)