Colonel Kyle J. Noel is the vice commander of the 122nd Fighter Wing, Fort Wayne Air National Guard Base, Indiana. He assists the commander in providing leadership and management to 990+ professional airman in support of the unit’s federal and state missions. He shares responsibility for ensuring the 122nd Fighter Wing maintains a constant state of readiness in order to provide worldwide decisive firepower and agile combat support to combatant commanders.
Colonel Noel entered the Air National Guard in 1991 when he enlisted as a weapons loader with the 181st Fighter Wing, Hulman Field Air National Guard Base, Indiana. He earned a commission in 1997 through the Academy of Military Science and completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1998 at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma. While serving as a fighter pilot, Col Noel became a full-time member of the Indiana Air National Guard. He is a graduate of the US Air Force Weapons Instructor Course and has served in key leadership positions at both the 181st Fighter Wing in Terre Haute, Indiana and the 122nd Fighter Wing in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He commanded the 113th Air Support Operations Squadron and 122nd Operations Group before assuming his current role. Col Noel is a Command Pilot with over 3,300 hours, including 600 combat hours in the F-16 and A-10 in support of Operations NORTHERN WATCH, IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, and INHERENT RESOLVE where he served as the Deputy Commander of the 332nd Air Expeditionary Group.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Aero Science Technology, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Ind.
2002 Squadron Officer School by correspondence
2009 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2014 Air War College by correspondence
1. May 1991–December 1996, Weapons Loader, 181st Fighter Wing, Hulman Field ANGB (ANGB), Ind.
2. March 1997–May 1997, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
3. May 1997–May 1998, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base (AFB), Okla.
4. May 1998–May 1999, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. May 1999–July 2006, F-16 Aircraft Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field ANGB, Ind.
6. July 2006–December 2006, United States Air Force Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. December 2006–May 2007, F-16 Aircraft Commander, 113th Fighter Squadron, Hulman Field ANGB, Ind.
8. May 2007–April 2009, F-16 Aircraft Commander, 163rd Fighter Squadron, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
9. April 2009–April 2010, C Flight Commander, 163rd Fighter Squadron, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
10. April 2010–June 2010, A-10 Replacement Training Unit, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. June 2010–April 2012, C Flight Commander, 163rd Fighter Squadron, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
12. April 2012–October 2014, Commander, 113th Air Support Operations Squadron, Hulman Field ANGB, Ind.
13. October 2014–April 2015, Deputy Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Group, Ahmed Al Jaber Air Base (AB), Kuwait.
14. July 2015–May 2016, Deputy Commander/Air Operations Officer, 122nd Operations Group, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
15. May 2016–May 2017, Commander/Air Operations Officer, 122nd Operations Group, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
16. May 2017–Present, Vice Commander, 122nd Fighter Wing, Fort Wayne ANGB, Ind.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,300 including more than 600 combat hours T-37, T-38, F-16, A-10 and OA-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leave clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Iraq Campaign Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with four oak leaf clusters AF Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two 'M' devices
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
AF Training Ribbon with oak leaf clusters
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Guard Association of the United States
National Guard Association of Indiana
Air Line Pilots Association 2017
United Airlines First Officer 2017
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1, 1997
First Lieutenant May 1, 1999
Captain July 20, 2001
Major Aug. 12, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 4, 2009
Colonel May 16, 2016
(Current as of December 2017)